WordPress has a range of theme frameworks which offer an easy theme maintenance and all the advanced features required for almost any site variant. Genesis framework is one of the most feature-rich, user-friendly and WordPress standards abiding theme framework available out there with no frills whatsoever.
But unlike the regular WordPress themes, Genesis framework comes bundled as a framework and child theme. So in order to use a Genesis theme, you need to properly install both the framework and the child theme.
Since this is a bit different from the regular theme installation, people who are just starting out may get a bit confused with all the technical jargon regarding the installation of parent and child themes.
So if you are wondering, here is how you can install Genesis theme framework and child theme in WordPress.
Note: Before starting, I assume that you have already bought the Genesis framework.
Install Genesis Framework and Child Theme
Even though we can use other advanced options like FTP to install the framework and the child theme, I’m going to use the regular in-built WordPress options for this tutorial.
1. To start the installation process, log in to your Studiopress account to download relevant files.
2. Now, head over to the Studiopress downloads page and download both the framework and the child theme. As for me, I’ve downloaded both the framework and the child theme “eleven40 Pro.”
3. Once downloaded, login into your WordPress admin area and navigate to the “Themes” page under the “Appearance” category.
4. Here click on the “Add New” button.
5. Since we are going to upload both the framework and the child theme, click on the button “Upload Theme.”
6. Here in this page, click on the button “Choose File,” browse for the downloaded Genesis Framework (zip file) and click on the “Install Now” button to start the framework installation process.
7. Once the installation is complete, the screen will look something like this. There is no need for you to activate the framework yet.
8. Now, open the theme upload page again. Here click on the “Choose File” button, browse for the downloaded child theme (zip file) and click on the “Install Now” button. In my case, I’ve selected “eleven40-pro” file as it is my downloaded child theme.
9. As soon as you click the button, WordPress proceeds and installs the child theme. Once installed, click on the “Activate” link to active the installed child theme. If you want to preview the installed child theme before activating, just click on the “Live Preview” link.
10. After successfully installing and activating the theme, you need to configure basic Genesis theme settings, widgets, and other stuff. Each and every Genesis child theme is special and has its own setup routine. But the good thing is that the framework developers got you covered as you can find the theme specific setup instructions right in the downloads area.
Also, Genesis does have its own framework and theme-specific plugins. So do give them a try to extend the functionality even further and makeover your site. That’s all there is to do and it is that simple to install Genesis framework and child theme in WordPress.
Hopefully that helps and do comment below if you face any problems or just to share your thoughts and experiences about using Genesis framework.